WoW Guild Rankings

Dr Jordan Peterson - any fans?

Bored or have nothing relevant to say about anything? Then post it here.

Moderator: Windavell

Dr Jordan Peterson - any fans?

Postby Florentia » 08 Oct 2018, 11:56

Hey y'all :wave:

So I just literally discovered the work of Jordan Peterson and after just one day of watching Youtube videos of his lectures, some interviews with him and the like, I'm blown away. Seriously, mind is goddamn blown. I downloaded his 12 Steps for Life book last night and I'm itching to get elbow deep in it.

His 'Clean your room' thing, I understand it blew up into some kind of meme but that shit is for realz yo. Inspired me yesterday to literally clean my room (well, my corner of it - Wind's is ofc all in order...) I threw out an entire bin bag of useless crap I was holding onto for literally no logical reason! Read this article for more info on just this tiny but immense advice and the reasoning behind it: https://medium.com/the-mission/clean-your-room-change-your-world-8d6bce65d601

I love that he backs his shit up with the processes behind it. I can't ever seem to kick start myself out of sheer will or being pushed but when someone opens my eyes to the science of what's going on in my pathetic, addled brain it just clicks.

I watched this entire thing last night where he talks about his book, I recommend anyone who is struggling to do so too.

The lobster thing, again, mind-phukking-nuked. I see the posturing in people in the workplace all the damn time. The 'No.1 lobsters' are my bosses, they walk just like he says, back straight and shoulders back and giving zero f*cks. Again I can never just make myself do this, I just wonder why they can and I can't. But then learning its hard wired into some ancient part of our brains coming from goddamn lobsters, I don't know why but it makes so much more sense. If I do it, I now know it will actually boost the serotonin levels in my brain, its not just "walk with your head up and shoulders back, just becuz!" He lays out why and how, the processes going on behind it. I don't know why but I seem to need to have that for anything to make sense and seem worthwhile doing. Maybe you're like that, too (if so, dem feeeelz, I got you bruh). There is something about the way he explains all this, he's not preachy. Dude was a clinical psychologist for years and a Harvard professor so the obvious thing is he knows his shit.

Sorry to turn this into a Deer Diary rant, this muthalicka just inspired me! He even made me sort of... not like, but kind of respect Russell Brand in this interview. No one can actually like that psycho but this discussion is amazing and I learned some shit from it.

And also this beauty where he completely rekks the loathsome Cathy Newman:

...SO anyone else follow him? Read his book or watched his Youtube talks? If not, look it up, watch the above and his lectures and be in awe! Then come back here and discuss with me otherwise this thread is going to be sad and lonely.

“I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution...” -Rust Cohle, True Detective <3
RIP Chris Cornell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbka39pi6c
Florentia
Veteran

Liked in: 7 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Re: Dr Jordan Peterson - any fans?

Postby Windavell » 08 Oct 2018, 12:07

This is a long winded way of saying "yes, you were right, I should do that"....

People really do need to listen to me much more often than they do :yes:
To be highly certain of something, with a very low order of evidence, or in contradiction to a mountain of evidence, is a sign that something is wrong with your mind.
Windavell
The One
The One

Liked in: 28 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Florentia » 08 Oct 2018, 12:18

...... :no: just :no:

Its the way he explains it. Like I said, he understands whats going on inside the brains of people with all number of issues, chemically as well as psychologically. I need that explanation, my brain is not just a broken part that can be fixed back to 100%. I need to understand the how's and why's and to learn the same about everything that brought my brain to be that way. I don't know why. I'm not a practically-minded person, I need to delve deep into the mire.

I just wanted to share about this guy because I'm sure others can benefit.

So
:flo:

Just read his shit y'all, you will have nay ragrets!!
“I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution...” -Rust Cohle, True Detective <3
Florentia
Veteran

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Ozelina » 08 Oct 2018, 14:32

Interesting.

His book was one I did not finish. Started on it and then put it down after a while. Got past the lobster part and then I just left it there. Need to give it a new shot I think. Cheers.

You read/enjoyed any other authors on this subject like Robbins, Covey, Cardone etc.?
Ozelina
Minion

Liked in: 0 post
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Florentia » 08 Oct 2018, 14:44

I have a feeling its probably going to be a rather 'heavy' book, maybe a lot of academic stuff..? But I'm in it for the pearls of wisdom that are nestled in there! I'm planning to read it alongside Russell Brand's Recovery book, I downloaded that too after watching that interview lol But yeah, the video I linked is a long one I know but he goes into what the chapters beyond the lobster one are about, and they really dive deep, totally pick it back up!

Not read any others, no. I'm in it for the 'self help' aspect rather than a heavy interest in psychology etc, though I do have one but not strong enough to delve that far. I've picked up and then dismissed a few other self help type books in the past, I find most of them are just too cheesy and try too hard to make you think they "get it". Peterson is like the complete opposite, he just knows it from a clear and experienced perspective and gives it to you straight. It's the first one that really appeals, so I'm hopeful I will actually get something out of this. Hell, I already have just from what I've watched so far.
Florentia
Veteran

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Return to Chit-Chat