WoW Guild Rankings

new comp

Bored or have nothing relevant to say about anything? Then post it here.

Moderator: Windavell

new comp

Postby Shankly » 04 Aug 2016, 14:09

Hi Guys

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a new tower please?

I have a budget of about 250-300 quid but my system is now dated by at least 6 years.

I've been made aware of sites that sell towers but as I specifically want my computer for WoW I wouldn't mind some expert advice on exactly what to buy rather than pick my own and then not have it meet what I want it for.

Many thanks guys
If the hunter comes back with mushrooms, don't ask him how his hunt was.
Purveyor of Sausage since 1977
Shankly
The Fallen

Liked in: 2 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Re: new comp

Postby Windavell » 04 Aug 2016, 14:13

If you want a good pc you need to double that budget Im afraid, else you will only be getting something short term and likely wont be as good as you were hoping. People like Kerri and Night spend thousands but I tend to budget around £700 at the top end and Im usually happy with mine and it lasts a good few years.

Doubling the budget might sound like asking a lot but really you would be better off saving for a bit longer than spending £300 now
Mistakes : It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others

Shankly likes this post.
Windavell
The One
The One

Liked in: 28 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Shankly » 04 Aug 2016, 14:23

Thanks Wind.

Back to the money jar it goes :)

Ideally I am after something that will play Legion at max revs rather than having most graphics thingies disabled due to old age :sad:
If the hunter comes back with mushrooms, don't ask him how his hunt was.
Purveyor of Sausage since 1977
Shankly
The Fallen

Liked in: 2 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 04 Aug 2016, 14:30

if you want that, then treble your budget :p mine plays about mid way with things mostly on High
Mistakes : It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Evo » 04 Aug 2016, 14:39

If you want to play wow on max settings you need a beefy cpu. That alone will set you back 200 for a 6600K or 300 for a 6700K. That cpu ofcourse needs a new mobo due to socket difference which will be at least 90 for an overclockable z170. Memory shouldnt hold you back so you could skip that, else another 60. Then you still need the case and powersupply (good 550watt gold 80+ highly recommended as minimum) plus the storage. You could use your old ones as long as they dont use the wide floppy ata connection. Modern mobos only have sata connection i believe. So all in all 300 really doesnt get you anything good like Wind says. 700 is really what you want. Also gcard. A gtx970 should be more than enough for wow at max.
Evo
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 1 post
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 04 Aug 2016, 14:43

The Gcard you suggest is pretty much all his current budget on its own :D I dont think he will be building his own either so needs to come pre made. Once he has more money I'll look over Overclockers as they have good stuff that is adjustable. El got hers from there (as well as others), I did as well originally for about 750
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Evo » 04 Aug 2016, 14:49

True. Playing wow should be achieveable with 300 maybe 400. Playing wow at max is a whole different ballgame. I get 72 fps in garrison with everything to the max at ultra at 1440p and i had to sell my soul and kill the demon that held the contract to get that case. Just never tell the missus and youre fine.
Evo
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Myrelle » 04 Aug 2016, 15:37

I thought i might as well use this thread as I too are looking for a new comp.
All the ones I've seen have 250GB SSD but isn't this a bit too small?
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well.
Myrelle
Minion

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 04 Aug 2016, 15:43

Yes, you would be better off getting an SSD hybrid drive. Or at the very least a 500gb SSD (which will cost more and be smaller than a hybrid). I recently got a 500gb SSD for £105 (got a discount as it was a returned product) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

A 1TB hybrid drive is £65 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1000 ... hard+drive

SSDs are good if you have the money but really not essential unless you are running a high end pc and every millisecond counts.
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Myrelle » 04 Aug 2016, 15:52

Yeah I'm looking at something with a 500GB SSD. All premade I've seen have only
250GB which is annoying. May have to order the separate parts and then pay to have them
assembled. (not doing that on my own :) )
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well.
Myrelle
Minion

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 04 Aug 2016, 16:01

A new HD would take about 10 minutes to stall as its a case of taking the side off, screwing it in place (there will be a slot for it), attaching the SATA and power cables, and job done. The main issue/time is transferring data from your original main HD to the new one but if you get an SSD there should be software on its disc to do that fairly easily (Was with mine)
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kerrina » 04 Aug 2016, 16:03

Myrelle wrote:Yeah I'm looking at something with a 500GB SSD. All premade I've seen have only
250GB which is annoying. May have to order the separate parts and then pay to have them
assembled. (not doing that on my own :) )

I actually only have a 256gb PCI-e SSD for Windows but then a 500gb for wow and other often played games. The rest are on 2 x 3tb SATA drives in raid.
Bnet: Robbo#2435 / Steam: Coyylol / Elite: Coyylol
Deathtards Adventures in WOWcraft FB
HWDeathtard on Twatter
Kerrina
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 04 Aug 2016, 16:07

I had a 250gig SSD as my main windows drive, on that it had windows + WOW and a couple of programs I want to load fast with windows, it seem ran out. So in the long term, since I cant buy a pc every couple of years, I swapped to a 500 gig ssd as the main drive, the 250ssd is now my programs/games drive, and I have a couple of hybrids for files (movies etc) and backups.

I would imagine if you had an ssd main, but your programs were on a non ssd drive your windows load time would be slower since it still has to drag things from the non-ssd drive (anti virus, drivers etc) as windows loads?
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kerrina » 04 Aug 2016, 16:10

Windavell wrote:I had a 250gig SSD as my main windows drive, on that it had windows + WOW and a couple of programs I want to load fast with windows, it seem ran out. So in the long term, since I cant buy a pc every couple of years, I swapped to a 500 gig ssd as the main drive, the 250ssd is now my programs/games drive, and I have a couple of hybrids for files (movies etc) and backups.

I would imagine if you had an ssd main, but your programs were on a non ssd drive your windows load time would be slower since it still has to drag things from the non-ssd drive (anti virus, drivers etc) as windows loads?

I have all drivers, av program etc on the main ssd. Along with my photoshop scratch file. There's also a lot of things that only install to the c drive, even nowadays
HWDeathtard on Twatter
Kerrina
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 04 Aug 2016, 16:11

and you fit that into a 250gig? I tried that, with WOW as well and was down to 40gig before I decided I best upgrade as windows alone gets bigger by the month. Probably should of just moved WOW off though
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kerrina » 04 Aug 2016, 16:13

Windows 10 has a much smaller footprint than Windows 7, that helps. Also reduce the size of the backups for Windows restore.
HWDeathtard on Twatter
Kerrina
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 04 Aug 2016, 16:16

I use Acronis for backups, I do drive images but yeah, I probably could of got away with not getting the 500gb ssd but I've been trying to improve performance and thought it would help a bit, didnt of course....
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Scotchy » 04 Aug 2016, 16:18

I use a 1TB ssd in my Mac that holds apps, OSX and all games, everything else like movies, pictures and music is on a 3TB external drive
Scotchy
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 7 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 04 Aug 2016, 16:19

money bags...
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kerrina » 04 Aug 2016, 21:49

In all Honesty, if you're running at a standard resolution (1920 x 1080) a 660TI will suffice for a graphics adapter.
At that point, the processor will be the bottleneck for wow. I'd stay away from AMD at this point as a i5 will out perform anything AMD have. core-for-core the Intel offerings are much more powerful.
HWDeathtard on Twatter
Kerrina
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Next

Return to Chit-Chat