WoW Guild Rankings

Book Club

Bored or have nothing relevant to say about anything? Then post it here.

Moderator: Windavell

Re: Book Club

Postby Kaøs » 23 Oct 2017, 15:08

Yep: slow regard... was a mistake. Just something to tie the fans over, I guess.
Abercrombie: there is a constant threat / potential for stuff going wrong, so you'll find no issues there, I expect. That being said, the chars that can be defined as the heroes of the tale, have to (and actually will) make it to the end of the book in 99% of the occasions :-)
Will definitely check out Eddings, thx.
ESSE NON VIDERI
Kaøs
The Chosen

Liked in: 1 post
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 23 Oct 2017, 15:13

dont get me wrong. Lead characters should make it to the end of the book but they should also have set backs, loss, issues etc. Some of the books mentioned have characters who just turn up, do stuff, leave victorious onto the next win. Thats the stuff I dont like.
The Prince of Thorns character (Forget his name) is a loner that leads people so while his people might die he couldnt care less so long as he wins, and he always does so you never really feel for him or worry he wont make it etc Its a good set of books, aside from that, and I do recommend them but it was the thing that let me down in this set. There needs to be that sense of danger, or loss, otherwise its just boring, theres no suspense.

The Edding set have all that and more. Some people might find it slow to stay but theres over 10 books in all and around 7 main characters so you need to knwo about them early on, builds the base for the rest.
To be highly certain of something, with a very low order of evidence, or in contradiction to a mountain of evidence, is a sign that something is wrong with your mind.
Windavell
The One
The One

Liked in: 27 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kaøs » 23 Oct 2017, 16:52

Lol: don't think I am getting you wrong. And what's more: I whole-heartedly agree :-)
Personally, I tend to be drawn to the internally-conflicted heroes, whose souls are soaked with the blood of their battling inner demons and overgrown with the rotting roots of failure (don't worry: I obviously will not be writing my own books anytime soon, heheh).
I also appreciate storylines and hero profiles where there's still lots of room to fill in the blanks.
And finally: what is more heroic than júst pulling through while facing seemingly insurmountable odds and at significant cost?
ESSE NON VIDERI
Kaøs
The Chosen

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 01 Nov 2017, 17:12

Joe Abercrombie
... is my favorite so far (second only, ofc, to JRR Tolkien). Setting is mostly a lot of (fighting) action by cool characters in a pretty brutal fictional world that is not heavily leaning on magic, etc. Start with the First Law trilogy!

Have just started reading The First Law trilogy, about half way into the first book, and its great. Got all the stuff Im after in a (non picture) book, although could do with a little bit more magic than I've seen so far.

I did start reading The Black Company trilogy by someone whose name I forget. Got fed up with it quite early on as the author likes to use comparisons in every damn sentence. Shame as it has about 9 books and would of kept me going for ages but it was just too much hard work just to find out if it was sunny outside or what someone was wearing.
To be highly certain of something, with a very low order of evidence, or in contradiction to a mountain of evidence, is a sign that something is wrong with your mind.
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 27 Nov 2017, 14:18

@Winter
Im half way through book 3 of Joe Abercrombie's The First Law set, which should I go for after that? They have been a very enjoyable read so far.
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kaøs » 27 Nov 2017, 17:30

Basically, you can two ways now :-)

1. continue with the other 3 separate novels that are set in the same world that the First Law trilogy is set in: Best Served Cold, The Heroes, Red Country. I enjoyed all of them and you can (I believe) read them in any order.

2. start with the unrelated Shattered Sea trilogy.

I pursued the #1 route, but in the end, it's all good fun :-)

And here's what the SFF Chronicles Website had to say about it (https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/552524/):

Now, for the First Law books, it's best to start with the First Law trilogy itself - this will form a whole series of references picked up in the standalone novels, even though the main characters may differ. However, the First Law standalone novels can offer a good taster for someone looking to sample Abercrombie's epic fantasy, without investing in a full epic trilogy.

Best Served Cold is brutal revenge thriller that I'd personally recommend as the best standalone to pick up - it offers a good taster for Abercrombie's character-building and pacing.

If you're feeling strong-hearted then The Heroes is another strong story when it comes to character and pacing, but it's focus on being a war/anti-war novel might not have such wide appeal.

Red Country is best not read unless you're familiar with both the original First Law trilogy and Best Served Cold, as it concludes character arcs originally set up in these.

The Shattered Sea trilogy has nothing to do with any of the First Law world books, instead targeted specifically at the Young Adult fiction market, rather than mature fantasy readers. Personally I've really enjoyed it so far, but some Abercrombie fans find these a bit too light by comparison to the First Law books.
ESSE NON VIDERI
Kaøs
The Chosen

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 27 Nov 2017, 17:37

As I've read the First Law I prefer the order which helps follow along characters I already know. from what you've written Im not sure which I should get next, Best Served Cold?
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kaøs » 27 Nov 2017, 19:31

Several forums and apparently the author himself recommend: Best Served Cold -> The Heroes -> Red Country (and I think that is also the publishing order...)
ESSE NON VIDERI
Kaøs
The Chosen

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kaøs » 03 Apr 2018, 13:18

After 2,5 books into the "The lives of Tao" series (Wesley Chu): pretty enjoyable stuff. Not top-notch, but good enough to keep reading... 7/10
ESSE NON VIDERI
Kaøs
The Chosen

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 03 Apr 2018, 14:07

Im currently reading the Mistborn series
https://www.goodreads.com/series/40910-mistborn
by Brian Sanderson. On the whole I dont really like the "magic" part, I do like magic but not how they get it in this series, but Im finding the first book very gripping. Read for 3-4 hours on Friday night without realising. Its good stuff.
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kaøs » 03 Apr 2018, 14:39

Read the first 3 as a trilogy, found it enjoyable ... and stopped after that. Not really sure why, but somehow I just couldn't bring myself to buying the rest.
ESSE NON VIDERI
Kaøs
The Chosen

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Previous

Return to Chit-Chat