WoW Guild Rankings

Book Club

Bored or have nothing relevant to say about anything? Then post it here.

Moderator: Windavell

Re: Book Club

Postby Grindlewald » 05 Mar 2015, 17:25

Got this drilled into me by my A Level English teacher. Everyone needs to read Neuromancer by William Gibson at least once in their life

Kerrina likes this post.
Grindlewald
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 5 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kerrina » 05 Mar 2015, 17:32

Neuromancer is good, I enjoyed Count zero as well.
Johnny Mnemonic is a great short story if, rubbish film
Bnet: Robbo#2435 / Steam: Coyylol / Elite: Coyylol
Deathtards Adventures in WOWcraft FB
HWDeathtard on Twatter
Kerrina
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 1 post
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Grindlewald » 05 Mar 2015, 17:33

Full agree. I really enjoy the sprawl trilogy. try to re read it every year or so
Grindlewald
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Kerrina » 05 Mar 2015, 17:35

If I remember rightly William Gibson was supposed to be the original writer for Alien 3 bit for reasons I can't remember his script was regected and we were subjected to Brian Glover
Bnet: Robbo#2435 / Steam: Coyylol / Elite: Coyylol
Deathtards Adventures in WOWcraft FB
HWDeathtard on Twatter
Kerrina
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Grindlewald » 05 Mar 2015, 17:52

Would also like to recommend an author named Alistair Reynolds. Great Sci-Fi Spaceopera.

Revelation Space series
Grindlewald
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Nephrodeity » 05 Mar 2015, 18:04

I've just finished reading the first two of the Raven's Shadow Trillogy by Anthony Ryan. They were really good, can't wait for the final book to be released.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13569581-blood-song?from_search=true

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18138189-tower-lord?from_search=true

Currently reading Sovereign of the Seven Isles series by David Wells, I'm on book two but it's all a bit predictable at the moment so not sure how much more i'll read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12797516-sovereign-stone
Nephrodeity
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Wugdar » 05 Mar 2015, 19:55

Maybe it's been mentioned before but if people are into fantasy then my favorite author by a mile is Raymond Feist. All his books from the riftwar cycle are great. Books that are hard to lay down, you just want to keep reading to see whats next :)
Wugdar
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 0 post
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Evo » 05 Mar 2015, 20:08

I read three books in my life:

- Tolkien stuff (i count as one book)
- da vinci code
- a history of the modern world

ill read your book Grind
Evo
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 14 Feb 2016, 23:07

Elysah wrote:I have In the Name of the Wind sat on my shelf. Forgotten I had it til you posted this! Thanks :nice:

I have now read both books in this series and the 3rd one (about Auri). Was sad to find that the 3rd book in the series hasnt been written yet and no info on his website about it :( I hate leaving a series uncompleted as I will no doubt forget about it.
Its a strange way to tell a story and Im not sure if I like it but couldnt put them down. The lead character seems to be the cleverest person alive, which makes for a dull story usually.

have moved onto Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett. just started today
To be highly certain of something, with a very low order of evidence, or in contradiction to a mountain of evidence, is a sign that something is wrong with your mind.
Windavell
The One
The One

Liked in: 27 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Nephrodeity » 15 Feb 2016, 08:47

I've read them too, agree with you on the strange way to tell a story, there are a lot of unanswered questions. I'm not sure they will cover it all in a third book. I'm on book three of the demon cycle at the moment, the first one was slow going to start off with, wasn't really sure what was going on until over half way through, but it ends really well, you can see where they are going with it from there. Book 2 and 3 are really good.
Nephrodeity
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Aithenbeard » 15 Feb 2016, 09:44

Windavell wrote:
Elysah wrote:I have In the Name of the Wind sat on my shelf. Forgotten I had it til you posted this! Thanks :nice:

I have now read both books in this series and the 3rd one (about Auri). Was sad to find that the 3rd book in the series hasnt been written yet and no info on his website about it :( I have leaving a series uncompleted as I will no doubt forget about it.
Its a strange way to tell a story and Im not sure if I like it but couldnt put them down. The lead character seems to be the cleverest person alive, which makes for a dull story usually.

I was talking to my friend about new books to read and she then gave me the first two books for Christmas, very cruelly I might add as you are right, the third is not out and I did say I hated starting series when I know I can't finish them! Saying that, I am 2/3 through book two (Reading on the metro into work!) and I don't want it to end. Will have to check out the Auri book after.

If people want a more non-fantasy book, my I suggest Arthur C. Clarkes "Glide Path". Its a story based on his WWII experience with the development of radar for the UK forces, whom he worked with my granddad! Worth reading if you are in to that kind of thing :P
Aithenbeard
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 0 post
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Nightmarish » 18 Feb 2016, 16:28

i didn't like the Auri book, it wasn't really what i had expected, but i do like the story a lot. As clever as he is, he is very stupid in many things and you can see that time and time again with all the mistakes he makes.
Nightmarish
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 9 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 18 Feb 2016, 18:04

wasnt a fan of the auri as a book, but was interesting to see the character explained a bit more.

The main dude might make mistakes but theres never any danger of him getting killed or something going horribly wrong. Take the enemy camp in the forest as a prime example. I was thinking hows he going to manage this then, but in less than a paragraph he wins the day..
To be highly certain of something, with a very low order of evidence, or in contradiction to a mountain of evidence, is a sign that something is wrong with your mind.
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Book Club

Postby Elysah » 19 Feb 2016, 07:11

Oooh, so glad you resurrected this thread :)

I'm a little embarrassed to say I'm still only about a third of the way through The Name of the Wind. And similar through the Daylight War. Gorged myself on them for a few more months then put them down. And that was 9 months ago.
However, if you aren't time rich/too lazy to commit to a full novel, would recommend Neil Gaimans "Smoke & Mirrors". Lots of short stories, which leave you wanting more.

If short stories aren't your thing, one of the greatest films ever was a King short story, iirc - "Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Remdemption". Not a jot like it in genre, as its fantasy, but similarly enthralling :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elysah
True Believer

Liked in: 4 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 19 Feb 2016, 10:24

Im not one for short stories, I like something I can get into. I also dont really enjoy books that have anything that is related to the "real world" i.e. locations, names etc

I thought I was currently reading book one of Demon Cycle series but turns out Im not..... must of picked the wrong book (stupid kindle...) by mistake. Im actually reading The Way Of Shadows: Book 1 of the Night Angel, not sure what to make of it so far. Im 44% in, its still worth reading but its not as gripping as previous books so not sure I will continue after the first one.
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 16 Apr 2016, 17:29

The Night Angel trilogy was actually very good and quite different.

Have started the Demon Cycle books, they are not bad, a different take on things. I have books 1-3 and noticed book 4 is on amazon.

looking for other recommendations if anyone has any, needs to be fantasy i.e. magic, and not based on anything in the real world i.e. No countries called America, England etc
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Lphans » 16 Apr 2016, 19:29

Have you read Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski? The english translation loses some of its charm compared to polish or czech version but it is still an excellent series.

The series consists of two short story collections and five books of "Witcher saga".
The short stories are mostly irrelevant to the saga, only three of them are of some importance to it. But I can only recommend reading them all, since they are good read nonetheless and introduce some of the characters from the saga. The stories are also a bit lighter then the saga and some of them are play on classic fairy tales (though in its own twisted way - snow white and seven dwarfs are band of murderous psychopats).
The books are set in dark low fantasy setting that draws inspiration from medieval europe and slavic mythology and mixes that up with dwarves, elves and magic. Peasants eat dirt, kings plot to start wars for teritorial gain, mages plot world domination.
The books follow the titular witcher - Geralt of Rivia. He is magically created mutant whose purpose is to hunt monsters and take money for it. But his fate is bound to a child of prophecy(explained in one of the short stories) and this kickstarts the saga. The common themes are fate, prophecies, monster hunting, fantastic racism, politics, sex, war and human nature.
I don't think I have anything more to add without spoiling the series.

Oh, and there are three games which are dope, but considered non canon continuation of the saga.
Lphans
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 3 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Nephrodeity » 17 Apr 2016, 21:05

I've finished the available demon cycle books (I have 2 unfinished series going at the moment :( I wish the writers would hurry up and write them ) and have moved onto the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, I'm on the second in the series now and it's going well.
Nephrodeity
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Fantasy tips

Postby Kaøs » 23 Oct 2017, 11:56

I can imagine a good number of us enjoy reading Fantasy novels from time to time. Triggered by Tino's (re-)application I thought it might be nice to list some of my favorite Fantasy writers, hoping that others also share theirs and I can expand my horizon a bit. I may add more writers later; these are some of the writers I have been reading the last two years or so.

Joe Abercrombie
... is my favorite so far (second only, ofc, to JRR Tolkien). Setting is mostly a lot of (fighting) action by cool characters in a pretty brutal fictional world that is not heavily leaning on magic, etc. Start with the First Law trilogy!

Patrick Rothfuss
... brilliant novels, starting with The Name of the Wind. However, the last part of this trilogy is taking waaaay too long to follow the 2nd.

Mark Lawrence
...explores your own set of morals because in this slightly dark trilogy (prince, king and emperor of thorns) you are constantly wondering whether the main character is worthy of your sympathy.

Peter V. Brett
... is also pretty action-focussed with an interesting concept of magic. I thought very well told and with a good pace.

N.K. Jemisin
... has been nominated for loads of prizes. The concept of magic is different form what you are used to and not explained a to b, so it keeps you on your toes a bit when reading.

Other interesting reads
... reading back (to look for some inspiration), I see some other interesting mentions that I found good reads as well, like Good Omens (Pratchett/Gaiman), Neuromancer (William Gibson), Anthony Ryan, Brian Sanderson. And then I also start thinking about American Gods (Gaiman), Brian McClellan, Nicholas Eames. Latest find is Jen Williams' The Ninth Rain.

And so the list goes on and on...
Last edited by Kaøs on 23 Oct 2017, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
ESSE NON VIDERI
Kaøs
The Chosen

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 23 Oct 2017, 14:11

@Winter, moved your thread to this one since its all about books.

I dont have the books to hand to check the authors but agree with the Mark Lawrence books, the hero is very much an anti hero. Although I did find a lot of it a bit too unbelievable in the sense that nothing ever really went wrong for him.

I like make believe stuff but it has to have rules otherwise theres no point, no sense of danger, perhaps, or that the hero might fail. Becomes boring and repetitive. That said, if you can ignore those, the books are great and I read all 6 of them, think it was 6 anyway (2 different series with the same lead character).

Peter V. Brett, the Painted man series. Very interesting set of books. What kept me interested was seeing how the world was explained. The lead characters were.... unbelievable in that nothing seemed to go wrong. He just gets stronger and stronger and destroys all foes with ease. I havent read the final book, wasnt in print when I read the last one, so will read that to finish the set.

Read all the Patrick Rothfuss books, the slow regard for patients things should never have been written.. its so so so boring and makes no sense at all. Did enjoy the others though.

My all time fav author is David Eddings with The Belgariad series and all its spin offs. Simply amazing and has it all. Magic, with limits, solid characters of all types, with situations that go wrong as often as they go right.

Im currently reading the The Riyria Chronicles 1 by Michael J Sullivan. This is the 2nd set of books that follows Riyria Revelations (6 books). Very good set of books with 2 great characters.

I dont think I've read anything by Joe Abercrombie but will look up the series you mention.
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

PreviousNext

Return to Chit-Chat