WoW Guild Rankings

Book Club

Bored or have nothing relevant to say about anything? Then post it here.

Moderator: Windavell

Re: Book Club

Postby Erenthar » 29 Jan 2013, 22:53

Great ideia for a thread!

I loved the dark materials trilogy, it really was a surprise for me, and Eragon's books are reaaaaaaaaaaally better than the movie
A never ending saga i love is The Horus Heresy from the warhammer universe.

I would recommend The Empyrean Odyssey, The Year of Rogue Dragons, The Legend of Drizzt and Ravenor

Im surprised my brother didnt reply to this thread, must be is loooong list of books :)

PS: yup trond reads :o
Thrain, brother of Trond and speaker of Trondish

Words of the wise:
@ Windavell - Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:10 pm » who can resist the magic sheep, aside from me ?
Erenthar
Alt

Liked in: 1 post
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 29 Jan 2013, 23:14

The Legend of Drizzt is good, I have read them all. Really good insight into dark elves.

my favourite books are by David Eddings
My all time fav series is the Belgariad. I can, and have, read them again and again. There is also a couple of spin off books from key characters, which are must reads as well if you've read the series.
I have read almost all his books seen here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Eddings/e ... 692&sr=8-2
The main ones for me are
- Belgariad + Polgara the Sorceress, and Belgarath the Sorcerer <--- cant recommend these highly enough but likely not for everyone
- The Malloreon
- Tamuli which is ok but not awesome

I did start on some of the warhammer stuff but got fed up with spacemen in invincible armour, there just was no sense the characters would get hurt.

On Els recommendation I read through all of The Sword of Truth - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... d+of+Truth solid series I did enjoy even if the last few books sucked a little (12 in total). The girls in the red leather were quite appealing once you get past their whips and pain sticks!
The other one I was reading (but not been reading in general for a while now) is The wheels of Time, I really enjoy those. I think Im on book 6 at the moment (but not opened for a good few months).

Very much a fan of magic and Elves/dwarfs etc but has to be written in a believable way.
To be highly certain of something, with a very low order of evidence, or in contradiction to a mountain of evidence, is a sign that something is wrong with your mind.
Windavell
The One
The One

Liked in: 27 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Elysah » 30 Jan 2013, 08:54

Windavell wrote:
On Els recommendation I read through all of The Sword of Truth - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... d+of+Truth solid series I did enjoy even if the last few books sucked a little (12 in total). The girls in the red leather were quite appealing once you get past their whips and pain sticks!
The other one I was reading (but not been reading in general for a while now) is The wheels of Time, I really enjoy those. I think Im on book 6 at the moment (but not opened for a good few months).

Very much a fan of magic and Elves/dwarfs etc but has to be written in a believable way.

Yeah, The Sword if Truth series was awesome. Until the author made his books his own private soapbox and continually bleated his own version of "two legs good, four legs bad" (ooh Animal Farm, now there's a good book). The running storylines were wonderful for 7 or so books but towards the end one had a hard time swallowing that so much could happen to one man, that he could be all things to everyone. And that coupled with his 6 page monologues about the sanctity of life got a little tiresome.

I think the author lost his way but was clearly tied into a 12 book deal ;) The first ones are great but the overarching bad guy should've maybe been killed off about book 8 with the story concluding there ;)
Elysah
True Believer

Liked in: 4 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Erenthar » 01 Feb 2013, 23:37

:rofl:

Isn't the sword of thruth story behind the tv series Legend of the Seeker? I liked the 1st season, but the second :no:

What i loved about The Legend of Drizzt in the first books was its resemblance to The Allegory of the Cave

I read some novels from the Dragonlance universe, where i got my love for rpging dwarves :) the original name of my alt Thrain was Thorbardin (or something like that :? ) based in a city in the Dragonlance universe.
Thrain, brother of Trond and speaker of Trondish

Words of the wise:
@ Windavell - Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:10 pm » who can resist the magic sheep, aside from me ?
Erenthar
Alt

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 01 Feb 2013, 23:44

yeah it was behind the series, not see either series
To be highly certain of something, with a very low order of evidence, or in contradiction to a mountain of evidence, is a sign that something is wrong with your mind.
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Elysah » 08 Feb 2013, 22:32

Meant to post this a while ago... Started on the Second Book of the Demon Cycle, The Desert Spear, which "continues" on from The Painted Man. The book follows five main protagonists, all of whom we met in the first book (albeit briefly in some cases)...It's continued in the sense that some storylines from the first book are revisited, but told from another point of view.

Its certainly an interesting world that Peter Brett has created, and from memory I think that this book ranked highly in The Times Fiction Bestseller List. Which puzzled me that a sequel could rank so highly, with no mention of the first. One can only assume the original was a slow burner perhaps, but then you could probably pick up this book without actually having read the first.

Taking my time with it due to not much time to oneself but also because the final book in the trilogy isn't out until next week or so ;)

Also, more interestingly, the wiki page for this book suggests that the series is to be made into a movie, with the blokes behind the Resident Evil franchise at the helm.
Elysah
True Believer

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Nightmarish » 08 Feb 2013, 22:36

Elysah wrote:Meant to post this a while ago... Started on the Second Book of the Demon Cycle, The Desert Spear, which "continues" on from The Painted Man. The book follows five main protagonists, all of whom we met in the first book (albeit briefly in some cases)...It's continued in the sense that some storylines from the first book are revisited, but told from another point of view.

Its certainly an interesting world that Peter Brett has created, and from memory I think that this book ranked highly in The Times Fiction Bestseller List. Which puzzled me that a sequel could rank so highly, with no mention of the first. One can only assume the original was a slow burner perhaps, but then you could probably pick up this book without actually having read the first.

Taking my time with it due to not much time to oneself but also because the final book in the trilogy isn't out until next week or so ;)

Also, more interestingly, the wiki page for this book suggests that the series is to be made into a movie, with the blokes behind the Resident Evil franchise at the helm.

To be honest El i think there is more than 3 books. The last cycle i read was the Eragon series and that was four books which is better than a triology

Also i picked this from Wiki

"The second volume of the Demon Cycle, The Desert Spear, was released in April 2010, published by Del Rey Books in the US and Canada, and Voyager in the UK.[5] The third volume, entitled The Daylight War, is expected in 2013.[6] As of now the series is planned to be 5 books long. There are also two novellas related to the story. "The Great Bazaar" and "Brayan's Gold" each released in limited edition by subterranean press."

Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Painted_Man

FYI: i finished the Desert spear already :-p
Nightmarish
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 9 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Elysah » 08 Feb 2013, 22:41

Oooh really? That is interesting :) Good news, but I really hope he doesn't flog it to death like Goodkind did with The Sword of Truth series.

I've seen those spin offs, cannot say they appeal... As much as I am enjoying the Krasian storylines, I am not sure a story about Khaffits could interest me. Better dead than khaffit! ;)

No one likes a show off, Night... Now come here and look after my children, whilst I put my feet up and read my book. You clearly have lots of spare time on your hands. I can offer reasonable rates, say £1.50 an hour? I'll even make you a brew before I go relax... ;)
Elysah
True Believer

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Nightmarish » 08 Feb 2013, 22:44

Elysah wrote:Oooh really? That is interesting :) Good news, but I really hope he doesn't flog it to death like Goodkind did with The Sword of Truth series.

I've seen those spin offs, cannot say they appeal... As much as I am enjoying the Krasian storylines, I am not sure a story about Khaffits could interest me. Better dead than khaffit! ;)

No one likes a show off, Night... Now come here and look after my children, whilst I put my feet up and read my book. You clearly have lots of spare time on your hands. I can offer reasonable rates, say £1.50 an hour? I'll even make you a brew before I go relax... ;)

Tell you what swap my 3 hour round trip to work and home on the stuffed and packed London underground 5 days a week with people squishing you and touching you (though i dont mind that so much :P ) and you would see the spare time i have.

And yes not interested in the Khaffit. Though i actually prefer to read about Arlen than anyone else

EDIT: You mentioned about the film i read that Paul W.S Anderson is directing the films. People are not happy because his past film like Mortal COmbat, Resident Evil have been ....erm... poo
Nightmarish
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Elysah » 08 Feb 2013, 22:52

I'll swap that... My day currently involves baby sick. Lots and lots of baby sick. Give me man-handling by strangers anyday ;)
Elysah
True Believer

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Nightmarish » 17 May 2013, 09:45

Books I have recently finished thanks to the recommendation of neevs it's a trilogy as far as I am aware the 3 rd is still to be completed

In the name of the Wind
The wise man's fear

Basically it's about the story of a boy who grows up to be a legend and goes through his life and how he accomplished anything. There is magic and fae's and demons of sorts

Neevs described it as Harry Potter for adults. I think it's a little more than that to be honest as it also makes u think a little more also :-)
Nightmarish
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Snowdrift » 17 May 2013, 10:20

I just cant bring myself to read anything at the moment.....need to tell myself over and over its OK to read something else whilst I wait for The Winds of Winter.

:worthy:
Snowdrift
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 0 post
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Bluejangles » 17 May 2013, 12:59

Nightmares wrote:Neevs described it as Harry Potter for adults

I thought that was Harry Potter does dallas?
Bluejangles
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 11 posts
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Elysah » 17 May 2013, 16:33

I have In the Name of the Wind sat on my shelf. Forgotten I had it til you posted this! Thanks :nice:
Elysah
True Believer

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 17 May 2013, 16:35

is the the first one in the set? will wishlist it if so, sounds interesting
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Nightmarish » 17 May 2013, 16:37

Yea "In the name of the wind" is the first book
Nightmarish
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Windavell » 17 May 2013, 16:39

thanks, should I get time to read again, and finish my current set, I'll give it a look
Windavell
The One
The One

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Snowdrift » 05 Jun 2013, 13:12

I took a look while away, did not get much quiet time but I am 3/4 of the way through the first book. I like it.
Snowdrift
Ex Guildie

Liked in: 0 post
Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Myrelle » 05 Jun 2013, 15:18

Nightmares wrote:Yea "In the name of the wind" is the first book

It´s "The Name of the Wind" if one is to be picky..... :D
I just checked my book shelf, I liked part one but has not bought part 2
"A wise mans fear" yet....
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well.
Myrelle
Minion

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

Postby Nightmarish » 05 Mar 2015, 17:21

gonna resurrect this thread. Been reading the Mistborn series currently into the second book its not a bad read, little bit of waffle from time to time but all books have that, but overall been quite entertaining
Nightmarish
Ex Guildie

Armory
AskMrRobot
WOW Heroes

PreviousNext

Return to Chit-Chat